“GOVERNMENT THAT GOVERNS CLOSEST TO THE PEOPLE GOVERNS BEST”
Chester Township is part of the “Western Reserve”, so named in September 1786, when Connecticut gave up their Western land holdings but “Reserved” this section. The first settlers came to this area in 1801. The town was early known as Wooster, but in 1816 was changed to Chester by the first settlers, some who came here from Chester, Massachusetts. In 1899 the name was changed to Chesterland for postal reasons.
In February 1811, David Hudson gave six and one-half acres of land on the northeast corner of SR 306 & 322 to the Township. This is now known as Chester Township Park. The land can never be sold and is to be only used as a Public Square, a public parade ground, and for public buildings. In 1917 the trustees at that time notified a resident that he was not allowed to let cows graze on the public square.