Chester Park is located on land deeded to the Township by David Hudson in 1811 and is "to be used for the purpose of a public square, a public parade ground, and for public buildings..." The land was deeded to Wooster which is what this area was called until 1816, when it was reorganized and renamed Chester because there was another town in Ohio called Wooster. There are no records indicating why either name was chosen.
Today's bandstand, dedicated in May 1984, is located on the site of the original Bandstand built in 1894. It is a 22' octagonal structure, 24' high to the top of the octagonal pitched roof. A 7'3" high octagonal, copper-roofed cupola surmounts the roof. There is a 6" concrete floor with a 4' high storage space underneath, divided into two sections. The fretwork, lattice, columns and decorative railings are of wood. A wooden bench extends inside the railing around seven sides. The entrance features 9' wide concrete steps with decorative hand railings. Built with public donations, the Bandstand was a community beautification project initiated by the Perennial Gardeners Garden Club who continues to plan and maintain the flower beds around the Bandstand and garden at the corners of Chillicothe and Mayfield Roads. In October 1995 a brick engraved walkway supported by public donations was built around the Bandstand by the Chesterland Rotary Club.
The Bandstand is dressed with decorations of flowers, flags, ribbons, bows, garland, lights and even a decorated tree during the holiday season. It is used for weddings, photographs and the summer concerts in the park.
Located in the park also are volleyball courts, horseshoe pits, picnic tables, pavilions, park benches, a children's playground and a baseball field. The park is lighted for night activities. People with a wide variety of interest and abilities will find park activities to enjoy.